Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Back Pain

I alluded to this in my previous post, but I really jacked my back up at PAX (Penny Arcade Expo).

I believe I stressed my lower back on the flight up to Seattle by sleeping in an uncomfortable position. (I really should have lowered that seat.) Then Thursday night (before the con!) I bent down with my back and not my knees. The end result? PAIN! Things went downhill from there.

Friday and Saturday were pretty painful. I've never felt pain like I did on Friday. It made sleeping difficult and just moving around sucked. Yet, when I stayed relatively still there was still pain. It totally ruined my plans for the convention but at least I didn't die. On the upside, I now know why people pass out from pain. I had pain spasms that would travel up my spinal cord to my brain; it felt like someone was squeezing my head at times.

I suppose it's only fitting that I got jacked at PAX this year though. Last year it was Comic Con and the most horrible food poisoning of my life. Back then I learned firsthand how people can die from food poisoning. I guess my con going experience every year is going to include a lesson in being physically owned? I love how it always happens BEFORE the con too, not during or after. Irony indeed.

So what have I learned from all this? Recline the damn airplane seat. Bend with your knees, not your back. Figure out when your back is stressed and give it a rest when it is.

On the plus side, I'm doing much better now. I'm not in that much pain and I can actually sleep through the night. I've been seeing a chiropractor because I feel it's more productive than the prescription drugs (muscle relaxant + painkillers) that my doctor recommended. It's also because I was walking funny. People at work were like, "You're @#$@# up dude, you need to get something done about that."

(We'll cover my visit to the chiropractor and subsequent healing in a future blog post.)

No comments: