Monday, August 20, 2007

Wandeing Pasadena

I went to The Container Store on Sunday to pick up some travel containers among other things. (I'm going to PAX this weekend.) Apparently there is one somewhat nearby in Pasadena. This was all the excuse I needed to head down there and wander around Old Town.

I enjoy a place like The Container Store way too much. It totally appeals to my OCD/Type A desire to organize and classify everything in my life. I could probably spend far too much money in a place like that.

Somewhat ironically, everything I did after my planned visit to the store was spontaneous. Since I foolishly parked at a flat rate lot (should have read that sign more carefully!) I decided to wander around Pasadena on foot.

I ended up walking quite a bit down Colorado Blvd. I went as far as Famima!!, a Japanese convenience store. (Yes, the exclamation marks are part of the name.) I wandered around the surrounding streets as well. I found that I'm quite poor at measuring distances by both car and on foot. Landmarks in the Pasadena area all slurred together as I walked the streets. Still, I suppose it was decent exercise. It was so warm out that I ended up pretty sweaty.

I ate at thaitalian solely for the kitsch value and the fact that it's on Eater LA's DEATH WATCH. The restaurant truly is as janky as the concept: Thai + Italian food = a truly mediocre experience! You won't hate it, but you won't love it either.

On my way to Famima!! I passed by the massive Paseo Colorado complex. This is an outdoor mall type structure, with numerous restaurants and shops as well as a "Gleason's the Super Market!". (I've never heard of it either and once again the exclamation mark is part of the name.) More importantly, there was a theater so I FINALLY got around to seeing the third Bourne film, The Bourne Ultimatum.

Like my experience with Inside Man, I found the theater surprisingly full with most of the audience composed of elderly people. Sunday afternoon truly is when old people go to the theaters. I have no idea why people with walkers and canes find Jason Bourne such a draw, but if I had to guess I would say that it's probably because they've read all the books and want new stories with the same character.

I've always enjoyed the Bourne films, and this one was definitely better than the second film. (Once again living up to my theory that in a trilogy the 2nd film is usually the weakest unless it's Star Wars.) I'm not sure if it's better than the first one though, because I really love that Mini Cooper car chase. The plot was definitely the most interesting of the 3 films simply because it reveals Bourne's true origin story.

The awesome action sequences (complete with shaky cam) return as well. This is the film to watch for good and appropriate use of the shaky cam, as opposed to Transformers. (Though I did find it odd that the shaky cam is used in non-action scenes as well...reminds me of Bay in Bad Boys 2.)

I couldn't help thinking throughout my viewing that the film could have been titled "Listen to Bourne or Get Pw3nd!" as that sums up the majority of the action sequences and plot twists. Interestingly enough though, one of the assassins successfully metagames against Bourne. So I guess you shouldn't listen to Bourne all the time. What a twist indeed!

What I enjoyed about this film was how it doesn't have an outright summary of what happened in the previous two films. Rather, your viewing/remembering of the 1st two films simply enhances the plot of this film. I felt this film had the best plot beyond the origin story quest. I enjoyed the villain this time around even if he was a bit cliche and I really liked how the film takes place in various locations all over the world. It's only fitting for what is essentially a spy film.

I'll also admit to liking Julia Stiles' character in these films. I find it hilarious that whenever she crosses paths with Jason Bourne her whole life is endangered and turned upside down. Nicky Parsons must be like "@#$@# not him again" every time she runs into Bourne. This film is no exception; she ends up in the most danger in this one after crossing paths with Bourne. What can I say, Jason Bourne can totally manhandle the future Princess of Denmark.

After finally seeing Bourne, I can attempt to rank all the 3quels for this summer:
  1. The Bourne Ultimatum
  2. Pirates of the Caribbean : At World's End
  3. Spider-Man 3
  4. Ocean's 13
  5. Rush Hour 3
(Unfortunately, I didn't see Shrek 3...but I pretty much saw everything else!)

Oh and did you know they made a sequel to the Prince and Me?

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think I would love the Container Store way too much too, which is why I've never stepped foot in there.