Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wired's Top 9 Sidekicks Revised

So in next month's issue of Wired there's a list of top sidekicks as voted by readers...which is truly jank. Here's the list with apparently no order (though top to bottom seem reasonable)...keep in mind the readership of Wired.:
  1. Samwise Gamgee from LOTR
  2. Mr. Spock from Star Trek
  3. Robin from Batman
  4. Chewbacca from Star Wars (R2-D2 / C3PO would be better for this universe)
  5. Dana Scully from X-files (Isn't she really Mulder's partner? Oh nerds and women...)
  6. Smithers from Simpsons (more of a cronie isn't he?)
  7. K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider (I thought Michael Knight was the sidekick?)
  8. Willow from Buffy (yeah that's like saying Jayne from Firefly is Mal's sidekick)
  9. Beaker from the Muppets (lolz)
I'm sure people can come up with a better list. Dr. Watson, probably the most classic sidekick, isn't there? Boo urns. Where is SHORTROUND? I guess Asians don't read Wired! XD I thought about it some more and here's my top 9:
  1. Dr. Watson from Sherlock Holmes
  2. Robin from Batman
  3. Samwise Gamgee from LOTR
  4. R2D2/C3P0 from Star Wars
  5. Agent 99 from Get Smart (a rare case of the sidekick being more legit than the main character)
  6. Luigi from infi Mario Nintendo games
  7. Shortround from Indiana Jones (Is this my Asian bias?)
  8. Otacon from Metal Gear Solid (he's like The Oracle of the MGS universe!)
  9. Ace from Doctor Who (she's the most popular companion right?)
I left off people who I felt weren't really sidekicks because they developed as characters on their TV shows (Spock, Data, Weldonverse characters). I'm sure I've forgotten some good ones, so if you have any better suggestions, you know what to do.

No comments: