Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Weekend Upate: 5/09/08 - 5/11/08

(In an effort to increase the regular content on this blog and in order to figure out just what I do with my life, I've decided to start keeping records of my activities on the weekends. This is sure to be more boring than a Physics/English lecture for the three of you reading this blog, so feel free to skip this entry. These are mainly for me.)

Friday


This was a special weekend because I flew up to the Bay Area for Mother's Day.

I spent most of Friday with my Mom. I managed to get a haircut as well. I had lunch at Shivas which was an Indian buffet. I enjoyed it, but I honestly know nothing about Indian food so who knows if it's actually good or not. I do know I like Indian rice pudding more than any other type of rice pudding!

After eating dinner at home, I caught a screening of Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. It was definitely not as entertaining as the first one, but it has Neil Patrick Harris in an expanded role which totally adds +1.0 to this film. I would give it a 7.0/10.

I also got to try out Froyo?, the new froyo place at Cupertino Square. It's pay by weight style which I'm a fan of. I would say the toppings are Yogomo quality while the actual yogurt is closer to Cefiore or Blue Cherry. It wasn't bad but not great either...but hey it's a start and they had lychee as a flavor and a topping! Interestingly enough, a Coldstone is coming soon to the same mall. Both of these dessert establishments are near the box office so there will be a frozen dessert war soon enough!

Saturday

The day started with me driving everyone in the family to go see Iron Man. Yes, this film is so broken that I saw it a second time. Tony Stark is in the suit for probably like 25% of the film or less and yet the film is still awesome. Robert Downey Jr is a fan and it shows in his portrayal.

I had dinner as Cascal, which I enjoyed but once again it's an ethnic cuisine that I am not familiar with. I'm not really a big fan of saffron (which I guess is good considering how expensive it is), but the paella I had was palatable enough.

After dinner I managed to catch Speed Racer, which for a family film is quite decent. The janky CGI and unique look definitely work. There's also some cool shots that evoke a very animated sort of feel. I hate to admit it, but the Wachowskis are probably visionary directors. Also, Chim Chim alone gives this film +1.0. I would give the film a 7/10.

Sunday

I took my Mom out to dim sum at Fook Yuen. It was super delicious, I like this place a lot. The wait is long but it's totally worth it. (It turns out you can call ahead for a number too.)

Afterwards we did some light shopping and then it was time to return home to get packed and prepare to leave.

My flight was delayed 1 hour. I spent the timing playing more of The World Ends With You. I think I have totally leveled far too much and not advanced the plot enough. This happens a lot with me and RPGs, especially when I enjoy the combat system.

I got home at like 1AM and promptly went to bed. (It's funny how quickly I can drive to/from the west side when there's no traffic.)

Summary

No comments: