Thursday, June 26, 2008

Weekend Update 6/20/08 - 6/22/08

(In an effort to increase the regular content on this blog and in order to figure out just what I do with my life, I've decided to start keeping records of my activities on the weekends. This is sure to be more boring than a Physics/English lecture for the three of you reading this blog, so feel free to skip this entry. These are mainly for me.)

Friday

I caught an early evening showing of The Incredible Hulk. The film was quite mediocre but I enjoyed it more than the Ang Lee version. I'm not a huge fan of Edward Norton but I think he did a good job in this. I am a fan of Liv Tyler though so she was a nice addition. I particularly enjoyed all the comic book references. The fanboy in me totally loves how Marvel is making these films take place in the same universe; seeing Tony Stark make a cameo is AWESOME.

I had dinner at Subway (Eat Fresh!). Nothing exciting to say here except I got a combo meal and drank ORANGE BANG. So janktastic, yet so good! I went to bed early because I had to get up on Saturday.

Saturday

I got up early for a 7:30 AM tee time at Whittier Narrows. It was an LA Golf Meetup group event. I had fun even though I sucked it up. The day started so well too, with a birdie and a par...and it went downhill from there.

I spent the evening having some people over to watch Fists of Righteous Harmony. (Dinner was pizza from Shakey's.) Yes, this is a truly janktastic film but my actor friend is in it. He's POINTMAN. How can you go wrong with that? A lot of fun was had making fun of his terrible Mandarin. I am looking forward to the (planned) sequel.

Sunday

I drove out to Spoon House for lunch. I love this place, it's a Japanese-Italian diner/pasta bar. It's everything I look for in an establishment: non-pretentious with good food and quick service. Every time I go I always want to try a Western styled pasta but instead end up with an Eastern styled one. The next time I visit I'll get the natto pasta and gross my friends out.

I had lunch in Gardena because I had to be in Torrance at the Comic Cult for a Marvel Universe release event. I sucked it up. The less I say about this the better. I'm still trying to figure out the exact # of characters to play at each slot in a sealed deck. Every time I try for the "pro" curve I seemed to get destroyed 1-2 games because I miss my 5/6.

I had dinner at Shakas which was followed by some Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition. I've never played 4e before. There's definitely a huge Japanese RPG and MMORPG influence at work here. It's streamlined and simplified, but I like that. The best parts of pen and paper RPGs for me is the actual roleplaying and character interaction as opposed to the combat and stats. I will say that 4e has made more interested in combat though. I also like how we have a couple of players who are new to the experience, it makes it a lot of fun.



Summary

No comments: