I thought Tiger Wood's apology was terrible from a media/recovery standpoint and while professional (as expected from him) had numerous weak points:
- Way too long: This is going to lead to butchering when it's cut down for media/audio bites
- Total lack of emotion will turn most people off. Even Kobe "fake cried" when he apologized.
- Too much talk about recovery / addiction / therapy...comes across as elitist (therapy is $$$ yo).
- Mentioning Buddhism and not Christianity. (Do you even what country this is Tiger?!) Christianity offers way more forgiveness too IMO.
- Way too much mention of his sponsors. This just reminds the cynical among us it's about the $$$.
Some neutral to good things:
- Asking for his wife & kids to be left out of it is good, most people like.
- Directly apologizing to families and kids, most people like that.
- Plugging his charities is probably a neutral because cynical people will again point out it's about the $$$.
In short, I am no longer convinced he can make a Kobe-style comeback. Though it is golf so I think the environment is different (criminal and immoral behavior in the the NBA?! What a twist!).